Area information about Barcelona
Both a city and a province, Barcelona is in the centre of the autonomous community of Catalonia and Barcelona city is both the capital of the province and the region. Barcelona has an international airport and transport within the city is by metro and bus. Both Spanish and Catalan is spoken throughout the province.
The province has four natural parks, the Cadi Moixero, Montserrat, Sant Llorenc del Mun I serra l’Obac and the Montseny. There is also the Delta del Llobregat Nature Reserve. Each has its own particular landscape and ecological importance. The Montseny Natural Park is an area of outstanding natural beauty with rivers, mountains, valleys, oak and pine forests. The Sant Liorenc del Munt I l’Obac has around 200 species of animals and Montserrat is home to the highest mountain and a famous monastery.
It also has a long stretch of coastline with many popular resorts, such as Castelldelfels and Sitges. On the other side of Barcelona city, seaside towns include Arenys de Mar, Calella, Palafolls, Canet, San Pol de Mar and Palafolls.
Spain’s second largest city and a busy port is undoubtedly the most cosmopolitan and modern city in Spain. The city offers a lifestyle that combines mountains and sea with a busy urban centre that is a commercial hub for international companies. Barcelona is also renowned for its arts scene, its avant-garde restaurants and its architecture by Antonio Gaudí that includes Güell park and La Sagrada Familia. It is also very much a city of football and you can be sure to see Barcelona’s team colours just about everywhere.
There are some 12 golf courses in the province and three dotted around the capital. Some of the best known are Real Club de Golf El Prat, Montanya Golf Club La Roca, Metropolitan, Sant Vicenc de Montalt, Sitges, Sant Cugat And Valleromanes.
Barcelona offers a good mix of American and British international schools catering for all age groups. There are also private international schools following the French, German, Swiss and Italian curricula, and there are many more just outside the city centre. Some of the schools have been established here since the 1960s, indicating the importance of Barcelona to the international community.
Favourite residential areas Barcelona
Choosing a place to live in the city will depend on budget and whether school locations are an important consideration. The best neighbourhoods for newcomers are Gràcia, Poblenou, Sarià-San Gervase, Born- Sant Pere and Eixample Dret and Esquerre. Outside the city, Sitges is an obvious choice if you want a seaside resort, as is Castelldelfells, and Alella if you want a more rural vibe – its known for its cava, wine and perfume.
- Spain – The Spanish economy: Should you buy property in Spain? Spain is certainly on the property buyers radar, especially in 2018
- Find property in Spain – Umuzee.com is a property portal with a global audience and a fast growing network of real estate agents specialising in Spanish properties for sale
- Guide to buying a property in Spain – A guide to buying property in Spain including the Spanish economy, culture, living in Spain, adapting to Spanish life, location & price
- Search for property in Spain – What’s the best way to search for a property for sale in Spain on Umuzee including types of property and best locations to buy property in Spain
- Property news in Spain – Current news and articles about Spain
- Property Taxes in Spain – A guide to property taxes in Spain including tax on new build properties
- Mortgages in Spain – A guide to property mortgages in Spain including information on mortgages for non-residents, interest rates, mortgage costs, new legislation and using a broker
- Currency Exchange when buying property in Spain – Why you should use a currency exchange service when buying a property in Spain?
€1,200,000 - 7 Bedroom Country House
Stunning property which stands proud on the Andalucian hillside. Inside the villa is rustic and spacious with a sweeping staircase and gallery landing over looking the open plan living space below. Patio doors open on to a patio terrace with panoramic views across the countryside down to the ...
2 Bedroom Apartment
in Santa Maria
Sal, Cape Verde
- Cape Verde Dream Properties -
3 Bedroom Villa
Alicante (Costa Blanca), Spain
Price: €460,000 (-8%)
- Sol Albir -
4 Bedroom Village house
in Alcala La Real
Price: €95,000 (-56%)
- Undiscovered Spain -